Executive Order #26 of 2017 entitled “Providing for the Establishment of Smoke-Free Environments in Public and Enclosed Places” was issued by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on 16 May 2017. This executive order invoked the Clean Air Act of 1999 and the Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003 to impose a nationwide ban on smoking in all public places in the Philippines.
Reading down, Section I defines the Designated Smoking Area (DSA) as the only place permitted to “smoke” outside your own home; and reading down to Section IV, it defines the guidelines in designing such spaces. Below is a summary.
Non-Smoking Buffer Zone is a ventilated area betwwen the DSA and the Smoke Free Zone not located in an open space. It is fully enclosed with a door that is distinct from the DSA’s door and is at least 2.0 meters away from the DSA’s entrance.
Designated Smoking Area (DSA) is the only place you can smoke.
- Only one (1) DSA per building or conveyance
- Not allowed in the following areas:
- centers of youth activity such as playschools, preparatory schools, elementary schools; high schools, colleges & universities, youth hostels and recreation centers for minors
- elevators & stairwells
- locations in which fire hazards are present
- withing the building and premises of medical facilites (private and public), health centers, laboratories, nursing homes, dispensaries, optical and dental clinics
- food preparation areas
- Must be 10 meters away from any entrance, pathway, congregation area, or anywhere people pass-by as well as any air intake duct
- Maximum total area of the DSA and the NSBZ is 20% of the total building area
- Minimum area is ten square meters (10.0 sqm)
- The space must be “enclosed,” no opening except for a door equipped with an automatic door closer
- It is mechanically ventilated
- If inside a building, a “Non-Smoking Buffer Zone” must be created where the DSA’s door is at least 2.0 meters away from the Non-smoking Buffer Zone’s door
- If inside a building, ventilation system must be independent of all ventilation system serving the building or conveyance
- Must post “Smoking Area” Signage
- Must post prohibition of entry of minors
- Must post “Graphic Health Warnings” on the use of tobacco
Also, facilities must put up “No Smoking” signs with the following specification:
- Minimum dimension is 8″x11″
- No smoking logo must be 60% of the sign
- Remaining 40% to show pertinent information on the law itself and penalties for its violation.
Here’s a sample I made with a little bit of tweak.
Hope that helps.